Sautéed Sherry Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Fresh Thyme
PREP TIME 10 min TOTAL TIME 30 min SERVINGS 6
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packages (10 oz each) frozen Green Giant™ Sautés Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; stir to coat with hot butter. Cook onions 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly golden and they start smelling a bit sweet. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- 2In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 packages frozen Brussels sprouts and 2 seasoning mix packets, reserving 2 chopped bacon packets for later use in recipe. Stir in water. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add sherry vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir to coat Brussels sprouts with mixture. Return cooked onions to skillet and reserved chopped bacon from packet; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat; stir in fresh thyme, and serve.