Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 lb. bulk turkey Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can ready-to-serve fat-free chicken broth with 1/3 less sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (9-oz.) pkg. refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 In Dutch oven, combine sausage and onion; cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink. Drain.
- 2 Add carrots; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomato puree, broth, water and basil. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini; return to a boil. Add broccoli. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tortellini are tender.
In place of the sausage, try cubed leftover chicken or turkey in this soup. Add the cooked poultry to the soup with the tortellini.The recipe for flavorful, healthful soup is simple: Use a small amount of meat to add protein and flavor to the broth, then fill the soup pot with pasta and a variety of vegetables that are high in vitamins and minerals. This soup gets added protein and some fat from the cheese in the filled tortellini.Serve this hearty, satisfying soup with a few slices of bread, and even a glass of cool skim milk.