Sautéed Sherry Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Caramelized Onions & Fresh Thyme
PREP TIME 10 min TOTAL TIME 30 min SERVINGS 6
Brussels sprouts get dressed up with sweet caramelized onions, bacon and thyme in this simple but tasty side dish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packages (10 oz each) Green Giant® Sautés Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; stir to coat with hot butter. Cook onions 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly golden and they start smelling a bit sweet. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- 2 In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 packages frozen Brussels sprouts and 2 seasoning mix packets, reserving 2 chopped bacon packets for later use in recipe. Stir in water. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Add sherry vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir to coat Brussels sprouts with mixture. Return cooked onions to skillet and reserved chopped bacon from packet; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat; stir in fresh thyme, and serve.
If fresh thyme is unavailable, stir in half the amount of dried with the other spices.If you can’t find sherry vinegar, substitute red wine or apple cider vinegar.