Summer Vegetable Quiche
PREP TIME 40 min TOTAL TIME 2 hr 0 min SERVINGS 8
Summer’s bounty of vegetables is captured in a creamy savory egg filling on top of a flaky scratch crust.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen Green Giant® Sautés Parmesan Garden Medley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup crème fraîche or full-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Grate frozen butter over bowl of flour mixture, using large hole setting of grater, stirring every 15 seconds or so to coat the shards and keep them from forming a giant butter clump. Gradually add the ice water to the bowl, and mix dough together with spoon, adding water only until pastry just comes together.
- 2 Using floured rolling pin, roll pastry out on heavily floured surface into 16-inch circle, and place into 10-inch pie plate, trimming off overhanging edge of dough 2 inches from rim of pie plate. Fold edge under to form standing rim; flute edges, forming crust to pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- 3 Heat oven to 425°F. Carefully line pastry with double thickness of foil, gently pressing foil to bottom and side of pastry. Let foil extend over edge to prevent excessive browning. Bake about 18 minutes or until crust is light brown; carefully remove foil, and bake 4 to 6 minutes longer or until crust has become set. If crust bubbles up, gently push bubbles down with back of spoon. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, in 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetable blend, reserving Parmesan cheese packet for later use in recipe. Stir in soy sauce and pepper. Sauté vegetables 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until they're cooked through, have released their water, and red onions begin looking slightly golden around edges. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- 5 In medium bowl, beat eggs, crème fraîche, ricotta cheese, garlic powder, oregano, thyme and salt with whisk until smooth. Add vegetable blend and half of the cherry tomatoes; stir to combine. Pour filling into crust, and dot top of quiche with remaining cherry tomato halves. Sprinkle top with reserved Parmesan cheese from packet.
- 6 Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown, top of quiche turns a deep gold and knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cover edges of crust with foil toward end of bake time to prevent excessive browning, if needed.
- 7 Cool 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Partially baking the crust before filling helps prevent the crust from becoming soggy.This quiche can also be served as a breakfast dish.