Cheesy Butternut Squash Spirals Bake
- 8 ounces cooked lean ground beef, drained
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2 Cook the Butternut Squash Veggie Spirals™ according to package directions, drain and keep warm.
- 3 Preheat a medium nonstick sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt. Whisk in the flour and stir rapidly until a paste-like consistency is formed. Continuing stirring about 1 minute.
- 4 Add the milk and quickly whisk in until the sauce has a smooth consistency. Stir occasionally until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- 5 Fold in the salt and cheese and stir until cheese has completely melted.
- 6 In a large bowl mix together the cooked beef, cheese sauce, and warm butternut spirals until everything is well coated.
- 7 Pour mixture into a pre-greased oven proof dish (2.2 quart or 7”x9” dish) and top with breadcrumbs.
- 8 Place in the oven until mixture is bubbling and breadcrumbs begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Serve hot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
To spice things up, replace the ground beef with ground chorizo. Use any mixture of shredded cheese to change up the flavor of the sauce (Pepper Jack, Swiss, Parmesan, etc.) Replace breadcrumbs with chopped tortilla chips for an even crunchier topping.